The Trial is over and you have Judgment (and are now known as the creditor).  The Court does not pay the Judgment and then go after the debtor.  The Trial may not be the end of the case.  You may need to take what are called enforcement proceedings to (possibly) get paid.

The creditor can start taking enforcement steps immediately after Judgment is given but may wish to wait the 30-day appeal period if the Judgment was obtained at a contested Trial. Enforcement usually starts with Miller Paralegal Services sending a letter with a request for payment or to set up a payment schedule.  If the letter asking for payment is unsuccessful and/or you are unable to reach a mutually satisfactory agreement with the debtor, we will have to take other steps to enforce your judgment. Generally, the faster the creditor acts, the better the results will be.

Depending on the information you have about any assets and the Defendant’s / debtor’s ability to pay, enforcement could start with a garnishment of bank account or a garnishment of wages (if know where employed).   If you do not have this information, we can begin the enforcement process by requesting an examination hearing during which Miller Paralegal Services will ask a number of questions to ascertain employment, banking and other asset information.  Another way to enforce a Judgment is to file a Writ of Seizure and Sale of Land against all real estate owned by the debtor within a specified county or a Writ of Seizure and Sale of Personal Property to allow the Sheriff to seize and auction off personal items owned by the debtor or a Writ of Delivery to allow the Sheriff to seize and return property held by the debtor but owned by the creditor.